- 1 lb dry spaghetti
- 8-10 ounces of bacon or pancetta, cubed or cut into small strips
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- half of a small onion, chopped finely
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
- 1/4 c half & half (optional)
- 1 tsp or more Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to box instructions, or cook to al dente.
- In the meantime, in a separate bowl, mix parmesan cheese,eggs, ground pepper, half & half. Set aside.
- In another pan, brown bacon in olive oil until crispy and fat is rendered.Add onion and cook until soft then turn the heat to very low.
- Scoop out 1/4 cup of pasta water and set aside. Drain the pasta.
- Add pasta into the bacon and onion mixture. Add the cheese/egg mixture and toss quickly to coat the pasta.
- The heat of the pasta is supposed to cook the egg so keep tossing until the egg mixture is set but not scrambled. Add the reserved pasta water and toss again.
- Serve with grated cheese on top or sprinkle with chopped parsley or basil.
- I like my carbonara with lots of bacon (who doesn’t?) and lots of ground pepper.