I love that I have something really good in this recipe, besides the cheeses – Kale, that’s what I’m talking about. If you never had this super health food, try adding it in your pasta and just like me you will become a believer. It tastes great.
Cover loosely with foil then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Kale & Cheese Stuffed Pasta Shells
- 1 large bundle of kale (about 3 cups chopped kale)
- 2-3 cups shredded mozarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese (or ricotta cheese if you prefer)
- 1/2 of a medium size onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 25 pasta shells, cooked according to package directions
- 3-4 cups of your favorite pasta sauce
- You just need the kale leaves.Wash leaves then cut the leaves off the center ribs. Chop the leaves.
- Blanche kale leaves for 3 minutes, then strain. You may shock the leaves in ice water to stop the cooking process or you can just set it aside to cool after straining (I don’t mind that it will lose some of its green color). Once cooled, squeeze the water out.
- Saute onion and garlic until onions are translucent. Add kale and cook for about 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. Add a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the cheeses and egg.
- Add the sauteed kale into the cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Place about a cup of the tomato sauce in 8 x 12 or 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Fill each cooked shell with about 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of the filling. Should be full but not bursting.
- Place filled shells on top of the sauce.
- Top with more sauce, then top with lots and lots of mozarella cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- I only used 20 shells on 8 x 12 baking dish but I cooked 25 shells to make sure I have enough in case I have broken ones.